Friday, March 30, 2007

Incidental Tourists

Our plans for my week off shifted somewhat when Louise's friend called and said that Louise could not come visit because her sister was in the hospital. (She's okay now, "okay" being a relative term. She is twelve and is a brittle diabetic, but they got her through her crisis.)

But we did get off on Monday and headed North to Grass Valley, the city of my nativity. (We passed the hospital where I was born.) We toured the Empire Mine State Historic Park, then went down to Coloma to the site where the Gold Rush began. We spent considerable time in the museum and gift shop. It started sprinkling just as we approached (on foot) the spot on the American River where Marshall found a "half-pea size" piece of gold. By the time we reached the old Sutter's Mill site, it was seriously beginning to rain. I sent the kids toward the shelter of the bathrooms and ran back to get the car, as the deluge began. We decided not to set up camp, but rather to go in to Placerville for dinner.

At the Taco Bell in Placerville, I saw my current favorite silly sign. "Please make sure you are wearing a shirt and shoes before entering." I was relieved to note that I was, indeed, wearing both, but was grateful for the reminder to check before entering the establishment. (My all time favorite silly sign is a note on a plastic bag: "To avoid danger of suffocation keep away from babies and small children." I've been wary of babies and small children ever since. It had never occurred to me before, having children of my own who are NOT homicidal, that the threat of being suffocated was so high around them.)

We spent the night at a nice KOA, then picked Louise up and went down to the Jelly Belly factory the next morning. Carlson started throwing up on the way down, so he and I stayed in the car. (I did learn, about twenty years ago, to always keep a "barf bucket" handy in the car. I've rarely had it used, but have always been glad it was on hand when the occasion for use has arisen!!)The other children had a great time. Carlson was SO sweet and understanding about not being able to go in; he didn't even cry. Then we went down to the Bay Area, to a Lego store. (Dallas REALLY wanted to go to Portland,OR for the Lego Brickfest, but it starts today and I start class in the morning near Yosemite.) The Lego store was a poor consolation to begin with, but an even bigger disappointment because the Pick-a-Brick was scantily populated. We drove through San Francisco (the kids had NO desire to spend any time there. What is THAT about? I love the place) and crossed the Golden Gate Bridge, passed San Quentin (where I spent part of my childhood; see poem this blogsite) and went on back up to Sacramento. We are semi-quarantined because of Carlson's illness. Don't want to get cousin Louise sick, susceptible as she is. (Yes my dau and my sis's dau have the same name!)

I leave this evening and start school tomorrow morning. I'm very much looking forward to it. This is the 300 hours in 22.5 days. It will be very intense, I'm sure, but it sounds like the courses are well-presented for easy absorption. At any rate, the real training comes through practice, practice, practice.


Love to all!

No comments: