Monday, November 8, 2010

Memory: Midland, 1981; Two Bolts and Two Screws

Terry picks me up for work in his new car. It's a dark green miniature station wagon. On the drive out to the airport, where we work cleaning airplanes for Continental, I notice a small plastic rectangle on the floor near my feet. I have previously noticed a hole in the console that appears to be the same size. So I pick up the piece of plastic and slip it into the hole. It snaps neatly into place.

Terry stops mid-sentence in whatever he was talking about and says, "Two bolts and two screws."
I look at him. "Pardon?"
He repeats, "Two bolts and two screws. Oh, and about 20 minutes on my back with my head wedged against the accelerator."
When I simply stare at him blankly, he goes on, "That's what it took for me to remove it, so I can install the radio."

No comments: